Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tolerance?

What is tolerance?

The Dictionary definition is: "a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry." (emphasis mine)

So...it means you live and let live? You allow others to have opinions and attitudes that differ from yours? It means you can agree to disagree without hatred? I don't think that's the definition our country has been using. I think our country's definition has become: "A fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., fall into the politically correct sphere of thought. All others are to be demonized until eradicated from society."

 If you know me at all, you know I am a devoted follower of my Savior, Jesus Christ. Many people would use the label "evangelical Christian," and depending on that other person's viewpoint, that's either a compliment or a criticism. I have some very particular and definite beliefs about a lot of hot button issues. Most of the time, I leave them alone because it's not worth the emotional effort of speaking and being denigrated for my positions. People don't want to know what I believe. They want to make sure I believe as they do.

 This has come to the fore with all the mess popping up about Chick-fil-a and their CEO's position on gay marriage. Good Heavens, Cathy family, I salute you for standing under the intense hatred being spewed toward you and your company. I love your chicken, by the way, and the fact you're closed on Sundays to give people the FREEDOM to go to church if they so desire. You don't force people to decide between working and spending time worshiping God.

So many people are claiming that the stance in support of traditional marriage is a bigoted and hateful position that insults the LGBT community. Really? I don't hate gay people, and I support the position of traditional marriage. I feel like people hate me for having my opinion. Can I claim that supporters of gay rights are hateful and bigoted too, just because they disagree with me? If I am being accused of trying to "force my viewpoint" on others, can I claim that they're doing the same thing to me? I don't agree with gay marriage. They're trying to force me to say it's ok. What's the difference? Here's the deal. I'm a very tolerant person. I can live and let live. My faith says I should love everyone. My Savior did, enough to die for us. Jesus spent time with the unlovely people of His time. He set me a good example. He didn't hate anybody, but He did stand up for what was right. He stood up for truth. He didn't shy away from having unpopular opinions. He told people to stop sinning and follow him.

I don't condemn people outright for having opinions that differ from mine. I can respectfully discuss those differences with people and still end the conversation as friends. It is entirely possible to agree to disagree. It's about mutual respect. I don't receive much respect because of my opinions. Usually people don't like what I have to say and go into attack mode because I differ from them. To be honest, it shows a lack of security in their position. It doesn't change my mind at all.

 So what does this whole tolerance thing look like in real life?

 I don't like that some professional athletes are paid millions of dollars and act like children, but I don't hate athletes.

 I don't like that politicians seem more concerned with maintaining their own power than acting in the good of their constituents, but I don't hate politicians.

I don't like that the media world has ceased to be objective (on both sides of the aisle) and puts their particular spin on subjects, but I don't hate reporters.

I don't support abortion, but I don't hate women who have had one or the doctors that perform them.

 I don't condone murder, but I don't hate murders.

 I believe Christ is Truth, but I don't hate people who follow other religions.

I believe sex should be practiced only in a committed marriage relationship, but I don't hate people who have lived together or committed adultery.

 I believe marriage is between a man and woman, but I don't hate gay people.

I don't like hypocrisy, but I don't hate hypocrites.

 Will you hate me for my beliefs when I don't hate you for yours? Am I intolerant because I have my own beliefs but allow others the freedom to have theirs? I'm not often "tolerated" in our society because I have these beliefs. Let's not have a double standard here. If I have to tolerate your beliefs and opinions, then you have to tolerate mine as well. This is not a one way street. Demonizing my viewpoint is the opposite of tolerance. It's bigotry. It's censorship. It's taking away MY freedom of speech and religion. It's the foundation of fascism, despotism, communism, and dictatorship. Do you really want to model yourself after Hitler, Stalin, and Sadam Hussein?

 Be careful how you respond to others and their opinions. Someday you might be in the unpopular camp, and you'll want the freedom to have your own opinion. Don't take that freedom away from others now.

No comments: